News Update!!: Texas: Latest Information: Package Bombing Attacks.
Here is the latest information regarding the series of package bombing attacks in Texas and the suspect who is dead.
** As of 11:00pm PT on Wednesday, March 21st, 2018: **
** Picture from NBC News: **
During a news conference late Wednesday, Austin Police Department Chief Brian Manley said serial bomber’s cellphone, 23 year old Mark Anthony Conditt, had a 25 minute video recording in which he described how he built each explosive device “with a level of specificity.”
According to Austin Police Department Chief Brian Manley, the phone was found on the suspect after he died in an explosion early Wednesday as police closed in.
Austin Police Department Chief Brian Manley explained that in the recording, the serial bomber Mark Anthony Conditt described the bombs that he constructed to such a degree that he also explained how they differed, which is information that had not been released.
“He does not at all mention anything about terrorism or anything about hate,” said Austin Police Department Chief Brian Manley adding that the video did not necessarily clarify a motive.
“Instead, it is the outcry of a very challenged young man talking about challenges in his personal life that led him to this point,” said Austin Police Department Chief Brian Manley.
Earlier on Wednesday, multiple senior law enforcement sources said that “exotic” batteries ordered online helped lead authorities to Mark Anthony Conditt, as Austin Police Department and federal agents worked around the clock with approximately 500 agents to track down the bombing suspect.
A criminal complaint filed before the suspect died identified him as Mark Anthony Conditt.
Newly unsealed court records said Mark Anthony Conditt would have been charged with receiving, possessing and transferring a destructive device.
Authorities tracked him to a hotel in Round Rock, Texas, but the vehicle of serial bomber Mark Anthony Conditt began to leave the hotel.
At around 2:00am CT on Wednesday, March 21st, 2018, serial bomber Mark Anthony Conditt died early Wednesday after detonating an explosive inside his vehicle as a SWAT team tried to apprehend him on the side of Interstate 35 near Old Settlers Boulevard in Round Rock, Texas.
Later that day, authorities evacuated 6 blocks surrounding a 3 bedroom house owned by serial bomber Mark Anthony Conditt in Pflugerville, Texas due to a significant amount of bomb making material.
Pflugerville Police Department Chief Jessica Robledo said at a news conference Wednesday that it would likely take several hours to process the scene and safely removed the explosive material, but added that authorities would allow residents to return home as soon as possible.
Law enforcement remained at the scene around the home of serial bomber Mark Anthony Conditt on Wednesday afternoon.
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Special Agent in Charge Fred Milanowski said that investigators believe there are no other devices in the public, but shared with reporters that they had found a “considerable amount” of bomb making material in one of Mark Anthony Conditt’s rooms, which had “a lock on it.”
“There is componentry in there that makes us believe to a high degree of certainty that it’s the same componentry that they’ve found in other devices,” said Fred Milanowski.
Authorities were able to find serial bomber Mark Anthony Conditt using a variety of tactics, including coming up with a list of phone numbers and individuals that were in the area of the bombings when they occurred, using cell-site analysis and high-tech computing systems that can find patterns of callers in certain areas.
Authorities say hours before police tried to pull serial bomber Mark Anthony Conditt, he turned on his cellphone, which allowed authorities to track his location.
Authorities also say surveillance footage taken at a FedEx in Austin, Texas was also used to track serial bomber Mark Anthony Conditt.
Authorities shared the surveillance footage showing serial bomber Mark Anthony Conditt entering a FedEx facility wearing what appeared to be a blonde wig and dropping off a package.
Even though the serial bomber suspect was dead, law enforcement officials warned locals to keep on the lookout for other possible explosives.
“This is the culmination of three very long weeks for our community. We still need to remain vigilant to ensure no other packages or devices have been left in the community,” said Austin Police Department Chief Brian Manley.
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Special Agent in Charge Fred Milanowski told reporters that officials were “concerned that there may still be other devices out there.”
** As of 4:00pm PT on Wednesday, March 21st, 2018: **
Investigators questioned 2 people today in Pflugerville, Texas who were close to serial bomber Mark Anthony Conditt, his roommates.
NBC affiliate KXAN Channel 36 is reports that a parent of one of the roommates said she did not suspect Mark Anthony Conditt.
Authorities were seen at a 3 bedroom house owned by serial bomber Mark Anthony Conditt in Pflugerville, Texas.
She said a family friend told her son about a vacant room at the house located at 403 North Second Street that was being leased. Her son soon moved in about three months ago.
Austin Police Department confirmed they took both roommates in for questioning.
Later, Austin Police Department released one of the roommates who was questioned and not under arrest well the other roommate is still being questioned.
Meanwhile, federal agents discovered homemade explosives inside the home and other bombing making materials similar to the ones that exploded throughout Austin, Texas.
** As of 11:00am PT on Wednesday, March 21st, 2018: **
** Picture from NBC affiliate KXAN Channel 36: **
Residents have been evacuated west of Railroad Avenue and north of Pecan Street in Downtown Pflugerville, Texas as heavily armored agents are surrounding the Second Street home of package bomber Mark Anthony Conditt.
The City of Pflugerville posted this tweet of a map of the evacuation area, and states that, “Pflugerville City Hall is closed. Residents have been evacuated from downtown Pflugerville west of Railroad and north of Pecan. Railroad from Pecan to Applewood will close. Please stay clear of the area as agencies continue to work.”
Authorities are telling residents and media to stay away from the area.
Armored trucks and an ambulance have arrived to the location.
Austin Police Department has confirmed that investigators detained 2 roommates of the bombing suspect; a roommate was detained, questioned and released and the other roommate is currently being questioned.
Austin Police Department said that their names will not be released because they are not under arrest at this time.
** As of 9:00am PT on Wednesday, March 21st, 2018: **
Shortly after the announcement that the serial bomber suspect had been killed, United States of America President Donald Trump congratulated law enforcement personnel on Twitter.
“AUSTIN BOMBING SUSPECT IS DEAD. Great job by law enforcement and all concerned!” tweeted United States of America President Donald Trump.
** As of 6:00am PT on Wednesday, March 21st, 2018: **
** Picture from Facebook and NBC affiliate KXAN Channel 36: **
Authorities have released the identity of the suspect in a series of package bombing attacks in Texas for the last few weeks as 23 year old Mark Anthony Conditt from Pflugerville, Texas.
NBC affiliate KXAN Channel 36 is reporting that records show Mark Anthony Conditt didn’t have any criminal records in Central Texas, and that Mark Anthony Conditt was a student at Austin Community College from 2010-2012, but did not graduate.
NBC affiliate KXAN Channel 36 is also reporting that as a student, Mark Anthony Conditt kept a blog as part of a class assignment, and in posts from 2012, he argued against gay marriage, in favor of the death penalty and against releasing terrorists from Guantanamo Bay.
TMZ is posted several of Mark Anthony Conditt’s blog postings that homosexuality, the death penalty, free abortions, sex offender registry, and terrorists.
** From TMZ: Mark Anthony Conditt’s Blog Postings: **
Mark Anthony Conditt is believe to be responsible for the series of package bombings in the Austin, Texas area and at a FedEx facility in Schertz, Texas, since Friday, March 2nd, 2018 that killed 2 people and injured 5 people.
** As of 6:00am PT on Wednesday, March 21st, 2018: **
** Picture from NBC affiliate KXAN Channel 36: **
Authorities say the suspect in a series of package bombing attacks in Texas is dead after blowing himself up inside a vehicle on Interstate 35 near Old Settlers Boulevard in Round Rock, Texas at around 2:00am CT on Wednesday, March 21st, 2018.
A multi-agency investigation that spanned numerous locations and 2 cities over the span of several weeks led authorities to the suspect.
Investigators recently identified a white man in his early 20’s as a person of interest and then a suspect, and found the vehicle he was known to drive at a hotel in Round Rock, Texas.
Law enforcement took up positions around that hotel and was waiting for Austin Police Department’s tactical team to arrive to take the suspect into police custody when he started to drive away.
Officials followed, and the man pulled to the side of southbound Interstate 35.
When SWAT approached, the man detonated a bomb, which knocked a SWAT officer back and gave him minor injuries.
Another officer who is an 11 year Austin Police Department veteran fired at the suspect.
He will be placed on administrative duty, per Austin Police Department policy.
According to Austin Police Department Chief Brian Manley, the suspect died and had “significant injuries” from the bomb.
Round Rock police say while northbound Interstate 35 is open, southbound Interstate 35 will be closed for the next 4 to 6 hours, possibly until 9:00am CT due to the investigation.
Police activity is also going on in the parking lot of a Red Roof Inn at 1990 North Interstate 35, just south of Chisholm Parkway.
According to the Round Rock Police Department, there is no immediate danger to the public.
Round Rock Independent School District confirmed school will be open today, but students will be excused if they arrive late because of the traffic.
** Pictures from NBC affiliate KXAN Channel 36: **
Officials do not yet have a motive for the package bombings in the last few weeks in Texas but say they believe he is connected to all of them.
The first bombing happened on Friday, March 2nd, 2018 at a home located at 1112 Haverford Drive in northeast Austin.
Authorities say 39 year old Anthony Stephan House died when he picked up a package on his front porch.
The second and third bombing happened 10 days later on Monday, March 12th, 2018.
The first explosion rocked Oldfort Hill Drive in east Austin at 6:44am CT.
Authorities say 17 year old Draylen Mason died at the scene well his mother was taken to the hospital with injuries.
The second explosion that day, third bombing, happened on Galindo Street in southeast Austin.
Authorities say 75 year old Esperanza Morena Herrera was critically injured and remains hospitalized.
The fourth bombing happened in southwest Austin in the Travis Country neighborhood at around 8:30pm CT on Sunday, March 18th, 2018.
Authorities say 2 men in their 20’s were injured when a tripwire bomb exploded on Dawn Song Drive.
This case showed the serial bomber using a different method since the first three cases involved packages left at homes.
The fifth explosion happened on Tuesday, March 20th, 2018 in Schertz at a FedEx sorting facility.
That explosion led authorities to another suspicious package at the FedEx facility in southeast Austin.
According to Austin Police Department Chief Brian Manley, they aren’t releasing who those packages were being sent to, but says law enforcement has been in touch with them.
Later that day, local and federal authorities confirmed the serial bomber sent two packages from the FedEx shipping store on Brodie Lane.
The suspect’s name won’t be released until the medical examiner identifies him and his next-of-kin is notified.
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, as well as the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Austin Police Department, are on scene.
According to Austin Police Department Chief Brian Manley, the Austin Police Department will conduct an internal investigation into the officer-involved shooting, the Texas Rangers will also investigate, and the police monitor will be involved as well.
Austin Police Department Chief Brian Manley also warned the public that officials do not yet know what the suspect did in the past day, and they don’t know if there are any more devices in the community.
Law enforcement officials warn residents in and around Austin, Texas to be vigilant and report anything suspicious.
** ZachNews sends our thoughts, prayers, and condolences to the family and friends of the victims in the package bombings in and around Austin, Texas. **
More information is still coming into ZachNews.